As a part of the “Different Scaled Agile Frameworks Series, this article provides an overview of Disciplined Agile
Disciplined Agile helps you Choose Your WoW (your Way of Working) for the unique situation you find yourself in. The DA tool kit shows you how to effectively combine strategies from Scrum, Agile Modelling, Extreme Programming, Kanban, Agile Data, SAFe®, and many other approaches in a tailorable and scalable manner. The end result is true business agility.
Highlight of the Disciplined Agile is a process decision toolkit that helps Customize the processes to suite individual needs. It is a people-first agile framework
Disciplined Agile guides persons, teams, and organizations to optimize their processes
Seven Principles of Disciplined Agile
- Delight the customers
- Be Awesome
- Be Pragmatic
- Context Matters
- Optimize Flow
- Choice is good
- Enterprise Awareness
The team leader is the Agile process expert, and he manages his team by keeping them focused on the goals and removing hindrances.
The product owner owns the vision of the product, priorities, and scope of the product.
The Architecture owner manages architectural decisions and reduces technical risks.
The team members deliver the solution.
Stakeholders include the customers and other stakeholders like sponsors, operation engineers, support staff, database groups, finance.
Advantages of Disciplined Agile
- Agile products like SAFe can be used to run large programs consisting of many teams. Single team framework like Scrum Can work with very limited number of teams but Discipline Agile can be used for both large programs many teams as well as small programs with even just one team.
- Disciplined Agile uses a goal-based strategy and a flexible procedure. This allows the team to choose their own strategy, methods, and frameworks that work for them. This freedom ensures better engagement from the team.
- The relevance of Discipline Agile is not restricted to just one area, and it enhances the overall business agility. If DA is important to just one team, say the marketing team of the organization. Still, the success of the marketing team will benefit marketing, sales, and procurement as they are interconnected.
- It improves the market competitiveness. As customer delight is one of the principles of Disciplined Agile, a better product will make the customers happy. This will ensure customer loyalty, thereby making your organization more untouchable for business rivals.
- As Disciplined Agile is a hybrid of various Agile methodologies, it chooses the best elements from each of them. Actually, it is developed to fill the gaps unaddressed by the Agile SAFe methodology.